The first time I came to Maret, I knew that this independent day school was special. Of course, the historic campus in the heart of Washington, D.C., offers a unique setting. I found that students and teachers alike demonstrate a sense of energy, imagination, and entrepreneurial spirit. At Maret, everyone seeks a broader perspective – an expanded understanding of each other, our community, and the larger world.
The three remarkable immigrant sisters who founded Maret more than a century ago embraced people from all walks of life. The constant need to explore better ways of educating students is baked into our DNA. Programs at Maret evolve authentically and with explicit forethought. Large enough to cover grades kindergarten through 12 yet small enough to do so on a single campus, blessed with experienced administrators yet averse to bureaucracy, Maret is uniquely nimble and quick to address new challenges. In short, we strive for excellence without arrogance.
The following are just a few examples of Maret’s educational leadership:
- For more than a decade, our Service Learning curriculum has partnered with organizations in the District of Columbia to integrate classroom instruction with “real world” experiences that make a difference, from kindergarten through high school.
- Understanding that to err is human, we approach discipline issues from a counseling approach – always hand-in-glove with clearly delineated consequences.
- Each summer, many of our teachers participate in the Case Institute for Curricular Innovation and Excellence. Offered only at Maret, this program promotes meaningful improvements in our curriculum, from boundary-breaking technology advancements, to difficult (but exhilarating) discussions about race, to the creative melding of problem-solving with mathematical theorems.
- Classes in science, music, foreign language, and art are not mere add-ons – rather, they are substantive courses that are essential to the Lower, Middle, and Upper School curricula. It is no surprise that so many of our students become artists or engineers – often embracing opportunities overseas.
- Exercising foresight and prudent financial management, Maret has lowered tuition increases without compromising program. The generosity of the School’s community allows Maret to be near the top of its peers in teacher salaries and grants of financial aid.
These are just a few of the attributes that constitute the Maret Way. No wonder why I love coming to school every day!
We hope that this website gives you a sense of the vibrancy of our program. I invite you to visit us at 3000 Cathedral Avenue, N.W., so that you can feel the warmth and vitality of this exceptional school community for yourself.
I look forward to meeting you,
Head of School
To learn more about the School and campus history, visit the History and Woodley sections of this site.