Lower School (Grades K-4)
Maret’s Lower School serves elementary students in kindergarten through grade 4. Maret's private elementary school in Washington DC lets children be children while they acquire the fundamentals of learning and socialization. Maret believes that childhood should be treasured and savored, not accelerated or compressed.
At a Glance
- Approximately 130 students, grades K-4
- First, second, and third grades each have two sections of 12-14 students
- Fourth grade has two sections of approximately 18 students
- The school day runs from 8am - 2:50pm with early dismissal at 1:20pm on Wednesdays
- Our After School Program (with over 15 different club activities) runs daily until 6pm
- Spanish instruction begins in Kindergarten
- Lunch served daily with a mix of Kindergarten through fourth graders at each community lunch table
The Joy of Learning
A joy of learning permeates Maret’s Lower School. The curriculum inspires students to take risks, think creatively, and work collaboratively. Teachers value their students’ backgrounds and experiences and create a meaningful and dynamic context for learning.
Our youngest students ease into the world of learning, self-awareness, and friendship in the comfort of the stand-alone Kindergarten Cottage. Kindergarten typically has 20 students working with two full time teachers.
Lower School Classes
- Science (2x week), half-class
- Spanish (4x week in fourth grade; 3x week all other grades), half-class kindergarten and fourth grade
- Art (2x week), half-class kindergarten and fourth grade
- Music (2x week), half-class
- Physical Education (4x week)
- Library (1x week), half-class kindergarten and fourth grade
- Technology (1x week), half-class fourth grade
- Wellness Classes (1x week)
New student enrollment varies each year, but here is a typical profile:
- Kindergarten: 20 new students
- First Grade: 5 - 7 new students
- Second Grade: new students enrolled only if space becomes available
- Third Grade: new students enrolled only if space becomes available
- Fourth Grade: 7 - 10 students
Lower School Culture Club
Each session of the Culture Club is taught by Maret parent volunteers who represent a variety of cultures and who share their personal stories and traditions. Students enjoy food, games, music, dance, crafts, and other activities to celebrate each culture.