Maret's partnership with DPR & Jelleff
"Maret is committed to being a good neighbor and partner and to ensuring that Jelleff remains an asset not only to Maret but to the overall community.” Head of School Marjo Talbott
Maret Begins Field Renovation at Jelleff
In January 2020, Maret School began the needed renovation of the regulation field at Jelleff Recreation Center in Georgetown.
In 2010, Maret installed the original turf field along with lights and fencing, and reconstructed the community pool. That field surface has reached the end of its useful life, which makes this renovation necessary. The project is expected to be completed in early March 2020. The new turf will be infilled with a high-quality, natural material superior to the crumb rubber traditionally used. When finished, the field will provide many benefits to community users.
Field Renovation Benefits
- Durability: the infill material is made from sustainably grown wood that withstands the punishment of time and play, including freeze-thaw conditions and rain events.
- Cooling: the material dramatically reduces heat and surface temperature compared to a crumb rubber infill.
- Traction: unlike springy, rubber-like material, the new infill feels more like natural soil, creating increased stability underfoot, which reduces the risk of injuries and improves athletic movement.
- Drainage: During storms, the material remains submerged, eliminating the need to groom the field or sweep the infill back into place. After storms, the field drains more quickly, making the field ready for play significantly faster.
DPR & Maret Partnership at Jelleff
- 2008 Boys and Girls Club puts Jelleff on the market.
- 2009 DC purchases the facility outright.
- 2010 DPR accepts Maret’s proposal for a partnership to improve the outdoor Jelleff facilities for all DC residents in exchange for limited preferred permitting.
10-year agreement includes an option for a 9-year extension.
- 2019 Maret requests extension and DPR agrees.
Benefit to All DC Residents
- More than 90% usage of field
- Year-round, all-weather turf field
- Expanded multi-use field: soccer, baseball, lacrosse
- Extended field hours with lights
- 100% usage of pool
DPR has sole responsibility for permitting the facility.
The Agreement & Maret’s Stewardship of Jelleff
Initial Investment in Jelleff—Nearly $2.4 Million
• Complete rebuild of the pool
• Installation of turf field
• Installation of lights and fencing
With extension for next 9 years, Maret will replace existing turf,
rebuild a portion of the fence for approximately $700,000, and support the renovation of the Jelleff Recreation Center building.
Benefit to Maret
Limited Preferential Permitting and Usage
- Two hours after school and some Saturdays; September–early November; and March–mid-May
- Annual Usage: Under 10% of total available permitting time
Public Statements in Support of Jelleff
Maret's Commitment to Our Community
Maret’s Mission Statement focuses on the importance of community. As a result, the School has developed longstanding relationships with dozens of organizations in the District. For example, for 20 years Maret has hosted the six-week Horizons enrichment program on its campus, benefitting 130 public school students this summer alone. In addition, Maret offers its field and gyms to outside community groups (including DC Stoddert Soccer, MPD Soccer, and Boys & Girls Club Basketball) for over 1500 hours annually. Substantive Service Learning programs for students in Kindergarten through 9th Grade partner with (among others) Martha’s Table, Anacostia River Project, and Mazique Early Childhood Program. Maret’s student body includes 411 District residents from all eight Wards. 48% of our students identify as students of color and 24% of all students receive need-based financial aid.
Maret, by investing and committing to Jelleff, has been given the opportunity to create a vital asset that benefits the entire community. We are proud of our success in developing and maintaining a first-rate athletic facility with regulation-size fields for soccer, lacrosse, and baseball.