Apply To Lower School (K-4) clone
Children flourish in our stimulating classroom environment, rich in interactive resources and guided by teachers who are highly trained, enthusiastic, and supportive.
[Welcome video from Annie Farquhar and Murugi Njoroge: Placeholder Needed]
Director of Admission
Admission Associate and Associate Director of Summer Programs
Lower School At a Glance
- Approximately 130 students, grades K-4
- First, second, and third grades each have two sections of 12-14 students
- Fourth grade has two sections of approximately 18 students
- The school day runs from 8:00–2:50 p.m. with early dismissal at 1:20 p.m. on Wednesdays
- Our After School Program (with over 15 different club activities) runs daily until 6:00 p.m.
- Spanish instruction begins in Kindergarten
- Lunch served daily with a mix of Kindergarten through fourth graders at each community lunch table
[BUTTON OR PHOTO LINK TO LOWER SCHOOL LANDING PAGE UNDER ACADEMICS]
How to Apply to Maret’s Lower School
Begin by creating your Ravenna account. This is the place where you will schedule a tour and interview and where you can check on the progress of your application.
[Please format the following in an accordion]
Tours, Information Sessions, Open Houses
Please create an account in Ravenna to see available dates and to sign-up.
Parents/guardians interviews offered online via Zoom. They are strongly encouraged for families applying to Kindergarten, first, and fourth grades.
Parents/guardians do not have to submit an application before interviewing. However, all virtual interviews must be scheduled by the application deadline January 7, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.
Multiple time slots are offered throughout the day.
Visits are REQUIRED for Kindergarten, first grade, and fourth grade applicants. Parents/guardians can schedule online after applying. We will begin these visits in January, and we will email all applicant families when registration opens.
Applicants will meet individually with an admission officer or teacher, and visits will last up to 30 minutes for kindergarten and first grade applicants and up to an hour for fourth grade applicants.
One recommendation is REQUIRED from your child’s current homeroom teacher. If your child is not being taught in person by their current teacher, an additional recommendation is requested from a teacher who has worked with your child in an in-person school setting.
Parents/guardians can send the recommendation form link directly to the teacher through Ravenna.
Current grades and/or a report card are REQUIRED. Prior year report card or transcript also required. We understand that this may not be applicable for Kindergarten and first grade applicants.
[Please format in an accordion]
What is the age requirement for Kindergarten?
Students must be five years old by September 1 of their kindergarten year. This is a firm guideline.
When are applications due?
Applications are due January 7, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.
Teacher recommendations and all other supplemental materials must be received by January 22, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.
Does Maret require applicants to visit the school?
Maret strongly encourages all families to tour before applying. Tours can be scheduled online through Ravenna. Students applying to kindergarten, first, and fourth grades will have an individual appointment with an admission officer or teacher.
May my child accompany me on my virtual info session?
Applicants are welcome to join their parents and guardians on a scheduled virtual info session.
May I submit an application for my child to enter any grade in the Lower School?
Maret accepts applications to all grades! The Admission Office will collect applications, teacher recommendations, and grades. However, applicants will be invited to an individual meeting with a teacher or admission officer only if there will be an opening in that particular grade.
When do I hear if my child has been accepted at Maret?
Maret notifies families of our admission decision by email on Friday, March 5.
[Photo from first day of school]
New student enrollment varies each year, but here is a typical profile:
- Kindergarten: 20 new students
- First Grade: 5–7 new students
- Second Grade: new students enrolled only if space becomes available
- Third Grade: new students enrolled only if space becomes available
- Fourth Grade: 10–13 students
More About the Lower School
Caption: Our youngest students ease into kindergarten and the world of learning, self-awareness, and friendship in the comfort of the stand-alone Kindergarten Cottage. Kindergarten typically has 20 students working with two full time teachers.
Lower School Specialist Classes
- Art (2x week), half-class kindergarten and fourth grade
- Library (1x week), half-class kindergarten and fourth grade
- Music (2x week), half-class
- Physical Education (4x week)
- Science (2x week), half-class
- Spanish (4x week in fourth grade; 3x week all other grades), half-class kindergarten and fourth grade
- Technology/Computer Science (1x week), half-class fourth grade
- Wellness Classes (1x week)
[CTA BUTTON OR IMAGE LINK - CURRICULUM ]
[TESTIMONIAL VIDEO: PLACEHOLDER NEEDED]