Summer Immersion Trip to France
*Typically, trips run every other year—the language travel programs will resume in 2024.
Students live and travel together for a month to improve their language skills, deepen their cultural understandings, make personal connections, and grow as independent travelers and members of the global community.
Students reside with host families, stay in various hotels, attend a summer youth camp, and live in a rural country house. They visit Nantes and its surrounding region, Bordeaux and the Atlantic Coast, the Dordogne region, and Paris.
The French Experience at a Glance
Where: Nantes, Bordeaux, Dordogne / Périgord Region, Paris
Who: Open to all Upper School French students
Leaders: Mme Eiff (and teacher from France)
Program Fee: Approx. $6500 (depending on number of participants)
Academic Credit: 1 language credit
In order to receive 1 language credit, the student must:
- Seek out opportunities to use French to improve language skills and cultural knowledge by integrating into the local community and communicating with invited guests
- Actively participate in the program activities
- Keep a daily journal (written/oral) with self-generated and/or assigned topics. (Journals will be collected and evaluated based on their use of language, creativity and evidence of reflection)
- Submit a final project related to their experience in France
- Do their own laundry and clean up of rooms as required
- Participate in food shopping and meal preparation as required
- 2 nights at hotel in Nantes to tour city and connect with local students at the Lycée Loquidy
- 4 nights hosted by families and students from Lycée-Collège St. Louis in St. Nazaire to explore school and surrounding attractions
- 2 nights in a youth hostel around Tour to visit several Châteaux in the Loire Valley
- 2 nights at a summer youth camp (UCPA) on the Atlantic Coast near Bordeaux w/ sailing, biking and ropes course
- 1 night at hotel in Bordeaux, Cité du Vin
- 2 weeks in a “gîte rural” (converted farm), where students will be immersed in daily living activities andexplore the surrounding historical and cultural attractions
- 3-4 hotel nights in Paris
- All meals will be provided throughout the trip. Students will eat restaurant meals, picnics, or home cooked meals.
- Food accommodations will always be made for students with certain food restrictions/allergies.
The approximate $6,500 program fee includes:
- Round-trip airfare Washington-Paris
- 3 meals/day and all lodging
- language instruction
- all excursion and activity fees
- all local transportation
Additional fees: personal expenses (snacks, souvenirs, personal supplies)
- Registration Form w/ $500 non-refundable deposit due date: TBA
- Information Night: TBA
- Payment Schedule: 3 installments
- Pre-trip Parent/Student meeting 1: release forms and contracts due TBA
- Pre-trip Parent/Student meeting 2: packing lists and travel tips TBA