Lower School (K–4)
Wellness class in the elementary grades establishes the building blocks needed for healthy social, emotional, and physical development.
Through a carefully sequenced curriculum, students develop intra- and interpersonal skills. They think reflectively about themselves as individuals, as members of a classroom community, and as part of the larger communities of Maret and the world.
The Wellness program teaches everyday conflict resolution and emotion management skills. Students learn to solve problems, set boundaries, and identify and express their thoughts and feelings in age-appropriate ways. They also practice effective communication skills and teamwork through games, videos, stories, and discussions.
About the Wellness Curriculum
Courses cover all six prongs of wellness: Identity, Digital Citizenship, Sexuality, Mental Health, Physical Health, and Social-Emotional Learning (SEL).
- Self advocacy
- Using the “STOP” model of conflict resolution
- Identifying and expressing complex emotions appropriately
- Self regulation and mindfulness
- Practicing empathy and compassion for self and others
- Defining identity (race, gender, family structure, socio economic status, ability, religion)
- Identifying, disrupting and challenging stereotypes, microaggressions, discrimination, prejudice, and privilege
- Establishing healthy boundaries in relationships and consent
Wellness lessons are both carefully planned and also flexible, allowing teachers to take time to address particular issues or social dynamics that may arise in a class or grade.
|1x / week for 20 minutes
|1x / week for 30 minutes
|1x / week for 40 minutes
Grades K–4 have PE four times per week for 30 minutes.
The PE curriculum promotes students’ physical growth and fitness and supports their social and emotional well-being. Students learn that physical activity is an important building block for a healthy, productive, and fulfilling life.
Chris Appleby ’80
Director of Lower School
Amy Sheridan Potts
Lower School Learning Specialist
Lower School Counselor